by Pat Works
Jacques-André Istel, D-2, is a French-American recreational parachutist and investment banker widely responsible for popularizing parachuting in the United States. He is called "the father of American skydiving."
First parachuting in 1950, he popularized parachuting in America touring college campuses and leading the American team to the World Championship of Parachuting in 1956. In 1958, he captained the U.S. team that won the French Coupe du Monde. He co-founded Parachutes, Inc. (PI) with Lew Sanborn D-1, and opened the first parachuting school in America. He was awarded the Leo Stevens Award for parachuting in 1958, He made his last jump in 1972 and sold Parachutes, Inc. in the mid-1980s.
Sport: The Case for the Parachute, by J.Istel
Time Magazine - The Case for the Parachute Aug 5, 1957,
“You just let go of the plane and suddenly you've changed elements. You start to drop but you don't feel anything—only a marvelous sense of control. It's like being immersed in light water. Then you bring your right arm up and you make a turn, just as simple as that. It's an incredible sensation." Thus runs the evangelical message of Jacques André Istel, 28, a black-browed ex-Wall Streeter and dedicated prophet of parachuting in the U.S. His gospel: "jumping, without emergency, out of an airplane can be a safe, exhilarating sport, not a devil-daring performance...”
Partial List of Publications with stories, references, or quotes of Jacques Andre Istel:
1. Gregory, Howard (1967). The Falcon's Disciples. Pageant Press. pp. 100. OCLC 1281216.
2. CLUI Newsletter
3. Sports Innovator William H. Ottley Dies
4. New York Times Obituary
5. a b Bartletti, Don. "Desert monument captures history on stone." Los Angeles Times. April 16, 2008.
6. a b c Princeton Class Notes
7. Wilcox, Len. Desert Dancing: Exploring the Land, the People, the Legends of the California Desert. New Jersey: Hunter Publishing, 2000.
8. Emerson, Gloria. "Take the Plunge..."
9. Time Magazine - The Case for the Parachute
10. United States Parachute Association
11. Lew Sanborn Biography
12. Time Magazine - Jumping for Joy
13. Taylor, Robert Lewis. "NO FEELING OF FALLING." The New Yorker. January 24, 1959: 42.
14. History of the Leo Stevens Award
15. Official Felicity Website
16. Moran, Mark et al. "Weird California." Sterling, 2006
17. Official Center of the World
18. Official Declaration of the Result of the Statewide Special Election held on Tuesday, October 7, 2003, throughout the State of California on Statewide Measures Submitted to a Vote of Electors